You have likely heard a lot about Belize – the awesome beaches, resorts, and tropical forests. Perhaps you have read a lot about the culture, people, and the many other factors that draw people into this beautiful hidden gem.
However, there are some facts about the country that you probably haven’t heard. These are just 25 of them:
- Belize was colonized by the British. That makes the country the only English speaking in Central America
- Belize gained their independence from England on September 21st, just 36 years ago
- Most Belizeans are multilingual. A good number of them speak Garifuna, Mayan dialects, in addition to Spanish and Kriol
- They have African dishes. Some of their staple foods, such as Fufu, are brought to the area by the Garinagu people who were originally from West Africa
- It is home to traditional Mennonites
- Due to the abundance of cacao and the local production of chocolate, the country holds an annual Chocolate Festival
- Belize is home to over 300 species of birds. This makes it a great beard-watching destination for animal lovers
- The country has the second largest barrier reef in the world, second only to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef
- You can find ocelots and jaguars in Belize’s jungle
- Two carnivals are held annually in the country. In Belize City is the Caribbean Carnival while Orange Walk hosts the Latin carnival
- Punta rock is a favorite genre of music. This is a beat that is reminiscent of dance and is popular among other Central America countries.
- Don’t be scared or surprised if you see a tapir crossing the highways!
- Ketchup is sometimes eaten with fried chicken
- You can find many jungle lodges and luxury resorts in the country
- Scuba diving is another thing that Belize can be identified with, apart from tons of archeological sites scattered around the country
- The country ranks high among the countries that are used as wedding and honeymoon destinations
- The population of just a little over 350,000 makes Belize one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world
- Belizeans accept the US dollars as a means of exchange. So, you don’t have to worry about changing your currency if you are visiting the country from the U.S
- The Blue Hole remains one of the most recognized tourist attractions in Belize. It is simply the largest sinkhole and ranks among the best five dive sites anywhere in the world
- Caana (meaning sky palace), the main pyramid at Caracol, houses 4 palaces and 3 temples and remains the tallest building in modern Belize, with a height of approximately 141 feet
- Some locals call speed bumps, sleeping policeman
- The country can boast of over a hundred islands located in the offshore
- Belize is the same size as New Hampshire
- A favorite Belizean breakfast is fry jacks
What are some of your favorite things about Belize? Let me know in the comments below!
On your way to Belize? Why not book an excursion directly through this website! You can view some top-quality tours by visiting our Excursions page. Find a tour, select a day and time, and book it instantly. Click Here to view all the tours available.
RideBZE.com provides travel tips for Belize, city guides, and general information. We also list Belize tours and excursions, that you can book directly and instantly through us! No more emails back and forth with tour operators, book your Belize adventure today!